Ashley Solomon is an amazing 6th grade Reading Workshop teacher at one of my campuses, Ed White Middle School, who truly knows how to utilize the iPads to support learning and exhibit student comprehension while creating an engaging classroom atmosphere. Regardless of the range of learners (e.g. ESL to students with low reading comprehension ability) she has in the class, she goes above and beyond in integrating technology and providing her students with the utmost of cutting edge learning app-ortunities.
Recently, she used the Sock Puppet app to support character analysis/development and practice dictionary and thesaurus skills:
- Prior Knowledge: Students read their weekly Reading Workshop mini-book “Max’s Glasses”.
- Pre-assignment: Students completed graphic organizers and discussed the traits of the characters in the short fiction story. (This could also be achieved with Holt Interactive Graphic Organizers annotated in an app like PaperPort Notes or an app like Popplet Lite or Tools 4 Students.)
- Project Foundation: Students were assigned a character trait and asked to practice dictionary/thesaurus skills for the STAAR by locating the definition, synonym, and antonym. Students also wrote a sentence and drew a picture for their given word. (This could be achieved with Popplet Lite, Doodle Buddy, or ScreenChomp.)
- Pre-Planning: Students worked independently or in pairs to write a brief 30 second or less dialogue between two characters.
- Assignment: Students create a sock puppet show (using the Sock Puppets app) for an assigned character trait (acting out the dialogue as if the sock puppet was the word “studious”).
- Sharing: Students showcased their videos for the class and discussed the featured character traits.
- A: Hi. I am Studious.
- A: I like to read everyday. I read a lot of books and I read fast.
- B: How else are you studious?
- A: I study before my test is given to me.
- A: I am Loyal because I am very friendly.
- B: What makes a loyal person?
- A: I take on a lot of responsibility.
- A: Loyal people are very caring.
- B: Wow, it sounds like you are very loyal.