One of my favorite events of the year, iPadpalooza, just so happens to be held at my place of employment, Westlake HS at Eanes ISD. This year we have expanded the event to include a Youth Film Festival.
“What better way to showcase the power of the iPad as a handheld film studio than to create an event that blends the spirit of creativity and film-making… with one special clause… all films must be shot, edited, and exported from an iOS device.”
Before I share all of the qualifying submissions, let me give you a little more framework on the challenge (summarized from our site).
Theme and Rules - Beyond designing the video entirely on an iPad, K-12 students were also given a few more clarifying guidelines:
- Theme: the theme for iPadpalooza this year is UP. Thus students were encouraged to integrate the UP theme (e.g. “Up Your Game”, “Level Up”, “Upgrade”, or “OneUP” ) as well incorporate a balloon as a prop within the video.
- Type of Video and Length: 2-4 minute short narrative, documentary, or animation/stop-motion video.
- Other Factors: Other factors for qualifying videos were appropriate content, credits and titles, and adherence to copyrights.
A rubric for judging both elementary and secondary was also provided to students prior to submissions.
Additional reference resources were also provided (e.g. Talent Release Form, An Inventory of Possible Apps for Video Production, as well as keynote slides with sample opening and closing credits.)
Youth Film Festival Qualifier - After vetting videos, qualified submissions were published to the iPadpalooza List.ly and public voting was opened on May 1st. Public voting will count towards 50% of the score and iPadpalooza Youth Film Festival judges will comprise the other 50% of the final score.
Youth Film Festival Alamo Draft House – Based on the criteria and scores listed above, 15 finalists (5 from each category – ELEM, MS, HS) will be announced and screened at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas on Wednesday, June 18th from 6pm-9pm.
Final Round - The top three videos, one from each category, will advance and be featured in a special presentation at the closing of iPadpalooza 2014 (2:30 pm on June 19th) where great prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place winners!
At the heart of this contest is the desire to:
“bring the Apple IOS youth filmmaking community together, to nurture it and to provide a showcase for all the great creativity that youth can unleashed with these mobile tools & apps” - Carl Hooker
So without further ado… I present to you… this year’s iPadpalooza Film Festival contests. Enjoy, be inspired, and VOTE!!!!
In the spirit of Fabulously Fantastic Friday and to celebrate Moms… TechChef4u is offering 20% off it’s Chic Geek iJewelry store using the code “TECHCHEFMOMS2014″!
TechChef4u Alliteration Alliance: Check out the other topics in the Ed Tech alliteration portfolio:
- MINDFUL MONDAY: COLLECTING REFLECTIONS
- MAGNIFICENT MONDAY: A MOTLEY OF SOCIAL POSTERS FOR LIFELONG LEARNERS
- MARVELOUS MONDAY: A MOTLEY OF APP CHALLENGES 4 ALL
- THOUGHT LEADERSHIP TUESDAY: SURVIVING THE DIGITAL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
- TOTALLY TECHUCATION TUESDAY
- THRIFTY TUESDAY: TRANSFORMATIONAL IPAD GRANTS
- WICKED-GOOD WEDNESDAY: 3 IDEAS WORTH STEALING
- TOTALLY TERRIFIC THOUGHT LEADERSHIP THURSDAY
- TOTALLY TERRIFIC INTEGRATION AND CELEBRATION THURSDAY
- FREEBIE FRIDAY: 50+ EDITABLE IPAD GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS AND PROJECT TEMPLATES
TechChef Presents: Where will Lisa Johnson be sharing her app-thusiasm next?
- Technology in Elementary Education Conference (College Station): Keynoting
- TIC 2014 in June (Iowa): Keynoting
- iPadpalooza 2014 in June (Austin)
- SDE Power Up! 2014 in July (Vegas)
- ETT Summit 2014 in July (Chicago)
- ETT Summer iPad Workshops in August (Austin)
- Miami Device 2014 in November (Miami)
- Learning Forward 2014 (Nashville)
1:1 Deployment and Interested in 1:1 Deployment or PD strategies and implementation? Looking for a dynamic presenter or interactive workshop? Contact TechChef4u (firstname.lastname@example.org) for parent presentations, hands-on workshops, keynotes, and much more! Read testimonials about TechChef presentations.
TechChef Techucation Gazette: Sign up to receive future issues of the monthly e-Newsletter: There are many more learning app-ortunities and professional development toolkits to come. If you don’t want to miss a morsel of this techucation feast, sign up today.
DONT MISS the NEXT ISSUE: SIGN UP TODAY!!!
Contact TechChef4u to schedule Spring and Summer PD and Workshops: email@example.com