Mrs. DeForrest and I met up again this morning to cook up another delectable fusion. This time we decided to use iBrainstorm and goal-setting questions to create a collaborative gallery walk activity.
How does the selection and pursuit of goals affect a person’s life?
Students will complete the walk in both reading and english class (each class has a different set of questions) that day and the questions will be used to introduce the unit based on the essential question (in bold above).
Here’s the recipe for accomplishing this app-tivity:
- Teacher prepares 6 stations with an iPad at each:
- Each station is a different number – ranging from 1-6
- Each station will have a different question corresponding to that number (print out on large piece of paper and post above or at station)
- Teacher will add a new board to each iPad using iBrainstorm. Teacher will label the board according to the station it is placed in: Question 1- Question 6 (e.g. iPad 1 for Station 1 would have a board within iBrainstorm labeled “Question 1” )
- Teacher will prepare student task cards for each station (using student directions below)
- Teacher will assign each student in each class period to a colored group. There are 6 colored groups: yellow, blue, green, red, orange, purple.
- Teacher will assign a role or task to each student in the group (e.g. Scribe for Questions 1-2, Scribe for Questions 3-4, Scribe for Questions 5-6, Final Submitter, Timekeeper/TaskMaster/BoardMaster). Roles can be adjusted as group sizes will vary.
- Teacher will post instructions for submitting final board including teacher email address visible in the room.
- Student Directions:
- Report to their first station according to rotation schedule (see role/task assignments for Scribe)
- Double-tap on the board in iBrainstorm to add a sticky note
- Double-tap the sticky note to edit the color to change it to correspond to your group’s color
- Type in your answer to the question (may have several stickies for each question for each group)
- Tap the keyboard icon (in the far bottom right of your keyboard) or the cork board background to return back to your canvas
- Move stickies by pressing and dragging to group or pinch out to zoom in (if necessary)
- Report to second station according to rotation schedule and complete same process (see role/task assignments for Scribe)
- Report to third-sixth stations using same process and instructions
- At last station (after answers to final question have been posted on board), follow Final Submitter instructions:
- After last question is answered at last station, tap square with arrow in upper right hand corner of screen to submit
- Tap “Send in Email”
- To: “Teacher email” you have been given (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Subject: “Period#: Question #: Actual Question” (e.g. Period 2: Question 1: What is goal-setting?)
- In Body of Email: “Write group members names and color of group” (e.g. Purple Group: Stefan, Elena, Damen, Bonnie
- Tap “Send” (receive verification from teacher that board was received) – should also hear “whoosh” sound
- At last station, BoardMaster will shake iPad and select “Delete Everything”